Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Lunch at Gattavecchi

Do I look content? I am.



I am happy to have discovered Gattavecchi Cantina last year when Linda and I were at school here the first time. It's a top-rate winery and restaurant high on the hill in Montepulciano. Joe and I were here in July for a fabulous lunch and Linda and I have been planning our return here for months. Well, the day lived up to expectations.
I had my favorite pasta--hand made with Vino Nobile--and tossed with a rich duck ragu. I had to order my salad twice because the first time it came with a bottle of olive oil I discovered (too late!) was infused with hot peppers. Mamma Mia, as they say here. We each savored our glasses of riserva 2008.



Toward the end of the meal, a large group of Russian tourists came in for a dinner and wine class. It was very interesting to hear the owner, Jonathan, talk about his wines and how to taste and enjoy them in Italian, then have the translator and group leader explain all the concepts in Russian. 

Classes are going well and our group of five: Katie, Margaret, Daniel, Alex and I are comfortable enough with each other to laugh at our mistakes--a good thing.

I spent a little time in my favorite boutique, Fatamorgana, where they always have something that appeals to my taste. The owner recognizes me now, since I have been there at least a dozen times and have bought shoes, a scarf, gifts and jewelry over the years. Today I bought myself a ring. It's a little large so I will be asking Carolyn to size it for me when I get back home.


1 comment:

  1. Si, siamo felice!!! Il pranzo era fantastico e domani sera ritorneremmo per un classe di cucina!! Xo..Luisa

    Yes, we are happy! The lunch was fantastic and tomorrow evening we'll return for a cooking class!! Xo..Linda

    ReplyDelete