Monday, October 21, 2013

Las Cuevas de Nerja


The nearby town of Nerja, pronounced Neer-hah, has an extraordinary cave complex that stretches for some 5 kilometers below the mountains. Admission for two was €17 and €5 more got you the audioguide, which was entirely worth it. Knowing the names and origins of the various  "speliotherms," made them seem almost animated. I took some pix, but without profesional equipment they don't begin to show the vastness and height of this one-of-a-kind natural wonder. This website www.cuevadenerja.es has gorgeous, well lit photos and even a virtual tour for those with an intest in learning more.
It's a big personal achievement whenever I talk myself into a cave. As claustrophobic as I am, I begin to get sweaty and dizzy within a few minutes. This time, I breathed deeply, tried to suppress the diziness that started creeping up and was distracted from my own nuttiness when a group of senior citizens in front of us began howling and meow-ing to hear their own echoes. It was hard not to laugh at their goofy enthusiasm. For awhile I forgot I was below ground and was spellbound by the magnificence of the caves.  The dizziness came back toward the end of the public pathways and I was delighted to emerge back into another day of sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment