Monday, December 7, 2015

Holiday cheer



Unless you come to Europe in December, it's hard to imagine how much they like Christmas festivities. Sunday was Babbo Natale day here, then Monday was "Il Ponte," a bridge to the actual religious holiday of Immaculate Conception, which is Tuesday. So Italians are on a long-weekend holiday, and out in force shopping and taking the kids ( and dogs) to see the lights and activities.

When I arrived in Montepulciano I was shocked to see how many tourists were in town. I had to drive around several times before realizing that there were no available parking spaces to be had. None! Finally, I gave up and drove down to San Biagio where there were several spaces just outside the church. The steep walk back up the hill was grueling. I had to stop and rest twice as I thought I would have a heart attack before I made it back into the centro. I lived to write about it.


Montepulciano really puts on a great show with a full-blown Christmas Market up in the Piazza Grande. There are perhaps 40-50 gift stalls ranging from cured meats to jewelry and hand-knit hats. The Town Hall is lit up with dancing snowflakes and holiday music is plaing over speakers. Behind the Municipio, there's a food court with all manner of pastas, burgers, pizza--geared toward family and kids. I got a good laugh out of this sign translated into "English": 



The Fortezza is all decked out in holiday lights and you must buy a ticket to enter the Castello di Babbo Natale, which is decorated and set up for children. 




Outside the fortezza is a skating rink, complete with skate rental shop and hot chocolate booth. It was fun to watch folks attempt to skate on the slippery rink--clearly for the first time in many cases.

1 comment:

  1. Enchanting and so reminiscent of Montecatini Terme! We had "free parking" included only not one space was to be had! But I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. I can barely imagine the walk up from San Biagio-- le tue gambe forte!!

    ReplyDelete