Sunday, December 13, 2015

Ahhhh, a day at the spa

Me, dressed and ready for the baths: 



I decided to treat myself to a day at the Albergo le Terme Spa in Bagno Vignoni. Yesterday afternoon, on a whim, I walked into the spa to see if they had any free appointments on Saturday for "something, anything . . .full body . . . Whatever." The charming woman at the desk said there was an open spot at noon, then opened the spa services menu so I could select something. "What's your favorite?" I asked her and she steered me to the hour-long Relaxation Massage. Okay, I booked it.
Today I showed up at 10 and was given my locker key along with a complete kit of robe, towel, flip-flops and a striped bathing cap. I put on my swimsuit and proceeded to the thermal baths where I alternated between the cooler hydromassage jetted pool and the hot water baths. After an hour and a half I was very relaxed and "pruny."



I went upstairs to the treatment suites and was greeted by a perky, young Katarina, looking efficient and antiseptic in her white uniform. She led me to a two room suite where I was given a towel and a packet about the size of a tea bag. "Put on the underpants," she told me, motioning to the tea bag. Then left the suite while I prepared myself for the treatment.

I opened the packet and found what looked like a Kleenex, then I unfurled it further and discovered a paper thong. I studied it for a minute, not knowing which way it went on, then figured since it wasn't going to cover enough anyway, it didn't matter if it was on backwards. I'm glad I didn't have to blow my nose!



I followed directions to begin face down and covered some of my behind with the tea towel that came with the tea bag. I saw that I was laying on a sheet of plastic. When Katarina returned she began to "peel" me with a gritty, olive oil based scrub, which she rubbed on nearly every square inch of skin on my body--everything under the thong was off limits, but everything else was fair game--butt and breasts included. When she was done scrubbing, she told me to go into the adjoining bathroom to take a shower and remove the scrub. The oily scrub left my skin pink and glowing. I was given a new paper thong and told to head back to the table for part two. Part two was a thick, luxurious cream, that was spread and rubbed in everywhere. It was quite relaxing, once I got over the giggles about the thong. 

Here I am after:



After three hours of bathing, detox tea, and a fantastic exfoliating massage,  I am moister than I have ever been and free from joint pain and quite satisfied with my spa day.

No comments:

Post a Comment