Sunday, December 13, 2015

Family weekend

I am so fortunate to have neighbors in Italy with whom I have spent many wonderful days. Last night I was invited to Pier Paolo and Claudia's house for dinner. Their adorable two-year-old Pietro spent a lot of time trying to get my attention and I had fun playing "Vigili di Fuoco" with him while Claudia made dinner. Claudia's dad, Silvio was at the house for dinner too. What a delightful man. It was his birthday the day before (68) and he was celebrating that and the fact he was the guy who bagged the 150 kilo wild boar that day. In Tuscany, this is about as good as it gets.

Dinner was very simple, but entirely Tuscan. A wheel of two-day old, runny pecorino as fresh as it can be and be able to form a wheel. It was purchased from a family down the street who make and sell cheese, but have no sign and do not advertise in any way. You just have to know that the Sodelli family makes very good cheese and go knock on the door. Then Claudia grilled Chianina steaks in the fireplace and served them drizzled with olive oil made from olives on his Pier Paolo's parents' property. Roasted potatoes and a green salad made up the sides. What a feast. Great wine too!

When I was leaving last night, Pier Paolo insisted that I come back for lunch today as his mother was bringing her homemade lasagne. How could I refuse? So at 12:30 I headed downstairs for my long (!) walk to see my vicini. Antonella and Gian-Giacomo, Pier Paolo's parents, were outside in the yard fawning over their only grandson so Claudia and I had a nice time to catch up and have a quiet Aperol Spritz together before everybody came back in for lunch. Pier Paolo was out hunting and eventually showed up in his camo and fluorescent clothes. I was delighted to see that Claudia had taken the cute holiday gifts I gave her yesterday--a set of holiday charms to decorate wine glasses, some funny Xmas cocktail napkins and a cute sweater and hat set to put on a wine bottle, and she had them all out and was using them for lunch. Antonella gushed over the wine charms, saying that she had never seen them before. I told them I would bring more next time I come to Italy.

Antonella's lunch was outstanding! Not only did she make the lasagne, she also made the pasta sheets. It was delicious! Then we had more of the young pecorino from the night before, a platter of excellent wild boar prosciutto, and a salad of avocado, apples, carrots, mangoes and celery in a citrus dressing. Antonella, who is a total trip--lots of fun--said she invented it.

I thought we were done, but then out came the brasato of beef with a side of cardoons roasted with tomatoes. Very nice.

After a meal of that size, I really wanted only to take a nap, but instead I drove to Rome and checked into my airport hotel. At this moment I am at the hotel bar having a nice glass of Chardonnay from Lazio with a bowl of cocktail peanuts. I have my ipad tuned to my URI basketball game and I have my headphones on.

I feel so honored to have been included in all the family activities this weekend. It's a very special thing to be welcomed happily (and fed very well) by my neighbors. They keep threatening to visit us in the States and I look forward to the chance to entertain them someday.

So another trip to Italy is in the books. Next stop Jamestown.

1 comment:

  1. wow. . .what a feast for the senses. My big gastronomic win of the morning was learning to tie a butcher's knot. I sprang for a small tenderloin roast yesterday so that I could experiment with a new recipe that I might make for Christmas. Perhaps as simple a feast as you had but not Chianina!!

    ReplyDelete