Friday, September 12, 2014

My kind of town . . .



Montepulciano remains one of our favorite places in the world and today, our last in Tuscany, I insisted that we had to spend the afternoon there.
The weather was just rotten all day, but by mid afternoon we saw patches if blue and decided to make the trip. I am happy to report that not much has changed except a few new boutiques on the Corso, which is a good thing. We made the pilgrimage up to the top of the hill and high-fived each other to celebrate that we can still do it, although a bit slower each year.
We stopped at La Dolce Vita, a lovely wine bar and casual restaurant, and treated ourselves to two different glasses (each) of Vino Nobile, which were all succulent, lightly spiced and fruity.
After a couple of days in Chianti I reaffirmed today that my wine preference still lies in the terroirs of Montepulciano and Montalcino and believe that the best expression of the sangiovese grape is here in southern Tuscany.
Tonight we have a reservation at La Rocca at 9 p.m. Tomorrow morning we head to our new apartment in Bologna. A presto!

1 comment:

  1. As I read your post, I got a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. I long to return and I, too, love Montepulciano . Just a few hours ago I unpacked the ceramics I thought there, and it felt Old friends were finally coming home. I really don't know how I can bear year going by without a trip to Italy. I am really living through all of your posts.

    ReplyDelete