Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Jacksonville, day two

Joe left early to attend some meetings and I was left to my own devices. No problem. I'm good at entertaining myself.

After breakfast and the newspapers, I went downstairs to check out and leave my bag with the bell captain. The hotel had a free shuttle service, which we took to the restaurant last night. I took it this morning to the Cummer Art Museum, which I had read about while researching Jacksonville.



The museum is on the property of the original Cummer mansion, owned by lumber barons in the early years of the last century. The Cummers were instrumental in creating the parks and open spaces in Jacksonville and Mrs. Cummer also created an incredible riverside oasis for herself, designed with the help of the biggest names in landscape design--like Olmsted. These formal gardens: English, Italian, and Olmsted are well-preserved and open to the public as part of the museum.




Mrs. Cummer's needlework version of her Italian garden.



It was hard to be in a city with a basketball tourney and not include that in my day. I called a cab and took it out to the Sports Complex, where the activities were located in the Veterans Memorial Arena. I bought a ticket and found myself a great seat for the Alabama vs. LSU game. LSU won by eight points and I was most amazed by the tiger-patterned shoes their head coach was wearing. She was about 6'1" without the heels, but at least 6'5" with them. Men basketball coaches work very hard, but women do the same job AND wear crazy stilt shoes.




No comments:

Post a Comment